Ceiling Hook - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I want to install a hook in my ceiling for the purposes of abseil training. Essentially I thought about getting a pair of eyebolts and screwing them into a joist. Once fitted, I could thread the rope through the eyes and attach it to a harness. Any fixings would need to support a minimum of 100kg, and the load applied would not always be axial, sometimes the stress would be applied from a side angle. I had thought also about fitting a punchbag hook, as they seem able to cope with heavy weight from all angles, but I'm unsure if one of those would be suitable.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, and advice on the best method of doing this, as I'd like to do this properly - I don't want to come crashing down!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Abseiling training :eek: Bloody hell how high are your ceilings?

Anyway, assuming this is upstair room with loft above. You should track down a long eyebolt, and fix it into a couple of bits of 6x2 which are laid across the joists in the loft. Or better make a big 'H' out of some 6x2, with the crossbar of the H fixed on top of the side uprights. Then this big H can be laid down on your joists and screwed down.

If downstairs and the flooring above already sits on the joists, then you'll need to fix a noggin between 2 joists which itself is fixed in place with a couple of speedy joist hangers.

Thanks, that sounds like a very good idea. One problem that I have though is that I live downstairs, and so don't have access to the floorspace from above. BTW - my celing aren't really that high, but you don't need a lot of height to get used to descending. :)

he's too shy to say it's a Love Swing

Sponsored Links
:LOL: All joking aside though, I would imagine that swings and hammocks to some extent probably need a similar sort of sturdy fixing to what I'm after? Again, seeing as I don't have access to the floorspace, the best I can think of is screwing a 4'' eyebolt into the centre of a joist (perhaps two, one in each joist, to spread the load)? Anyone know of a good supplier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back