Can I attach a suspension trainer to a ceiling joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
It depends on the size and condition of the joist (it may be riddled with notches and holes from cables and pipes, which weaken it).

Probably safer to securely fix it to a wall with a solid substrate that can take the size of fixing specified.

If it does go on a joist best to fix it near the end rather than the middle to minimise any further potential weakening of the joist.

Blup

If you intend to attach to the ceiling you would certainly have to locate centrally into the above floor joist. I would be tempted to fit a couple of full depth noggins either side of the selected joist to help prevent possible twisting of the joist when using the trainer.
What are the recommendations for fixing the trainer?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I see that this might be an issue as it would need to hang near enough the middle of the room. You can see these things being used by hanging from a door frame or wall but to use them properly you need to be able to be suspended directly beneath the attachment point which would mean my head or legs hitting the wall if this were attached near where the joist is supported on the wall or on the wall. Adding noggins would mean getting access through the ceiling/floor and that's too much hassle. So....I'll probably use this form of exercise out in the local park where I get the bonus of fresh air! Thanks again for your help everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back