Ikea Ceiling Lamp into Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to fix an Ikea ceiling light into a ceiling rose.

The instructions show the fitting hanging from a hook.

Can this hook go straight through the plastic plate that will be left behind after I remove the existing standard light fitting.

The light isn't particularly heavy but it does include a counter weight and pulley mechanism which allows the lamp to be moved up and down.

Any advice is appreciated.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
The hook (which they sell separately for some reason) will be fixed to the ceiling after you completely remove your ceiling rose - base and cover.
Ideally there should be a joist you can screw into to avoid using plasterboard fixings
I'm presuming its a plaster ceiling and not concrete?
Are you confident in connecting the light, you may have "loop-in" wiring, if so a detailed guide is on the wiki.

I hate them ikea light fittings!
Last time I fitted one, I wired the flex to the ceiling rose and hung the shade and lampholder from it, and binned the rest!

I hate them ikea light fittings!
Last time I fitted one, I wired the flex to the ceiling rose and hung the shade and lampholder from it, and binned the rest!

Are they the ones with the plastic cup that gets pushed to the ceiling and tightened onto the flex and never sits right?? bloomin things.

Sponsored Links
Ikea fittings are not too bad, easy to wire up while the weight of the fitting hangs on the hook. Then just slide the 'cup' up tight to the ceiling. They might be cheap and simple but they're installer friendly.

A LOT better than those ones with a grub screw either side you have to wire up while taking the weight then faff around getting the screws in to the sides - made of metal barely thick enough to support it's own weight. Usually found on 'quality' £100+ fittings sold in b&q and pagazzi etc. (made in china for a few quid) :rolleyes:

As you're going to be pulling it around you definitely want to be in a joist rather than using plasterboard fixings.

Ikea fittings are not too bad, easy to wire up while the weight of the fitting hangs on the hook. Then just slide the 'cup' up tight to the ceiling. They might be cheap and simple but they're installer friendly.

A LOT better than those ones with a grub screw either side you have to wire up while taking the weight then faff around getting the screws in to the sides - made of metal barely thick enough to support it's own weight. Usually found on 'quality' £100+ fittings sold in b&q and pagazzi etc. (made in china for a few quid) :rolleyes:

As you're going to be pulling it around you definitely want to be in a joist rather than using plasterboard fixings.

Thanks for the advice.

I've uploaded some pics here to show exactly what I'm dealing with:

//www.diynot.com/network/stephenikea/albums/6444

Would you advise me to hang the light fitting from the hook pictured, I was thinking it could be screwed right through the existing plastic fitting as I don't really want to remove the entire ceiling rose?

There is a hole marked 'strain' in the existing fitting, is this intended to take a hook for hanging this kind of fitting?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Stephen

The hook is designed to hang central and if you don't do this, using your plastered ceiling rose as reference point, the aesthetic look will not be good.
As the cables look to be coming through at that central point and the hook would really by best fitted to wooden timber above, some messing will be needed.

Yeah you need to get the hook central or the light won't sit in the right place. If the 2 screws holding the existing rose are into something solid then you could use a proper lighting hook like this:

http://www.inspiredbylight.co.uk/ceiling-lighting-hook-chandeliers-pendant-lights-p-5728.html

and you should be able to use the same screws in the same holes, the holes in the hook might be a bit closer so you may have to angle the screws and/or use slightly longer ones. You should be able to get a hook like this at your (good) local hardware store, or else ikea sell them (although i haven't been in a while and can't find them on their website)

It wont really be possible to do without removing the 'rose, if for no other reason then because you need to get the hook in the centre and currently that's where the wires are. Once the rose is off you should be able to push the wires to one side. If you label the individual wires before disconnecting then they shouldn't get mixed up.

Don't forget to turn off the power before messing with ANY wires. Just because the light switch is off does NOT mean there is no live wires at the light.

The thanks button is at the top right of the post :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back