Here we go again.... Ikea PS 2014

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Like a tw*t I thought buying a new light from Ikea would be simple. Five minute job and the missus would be happy. But no.

First of all the instructions mention hanging it from a hook. I have no hook but a bit of Googling seems to suggest buying this

81VkYHIKZ%2BL._SX522_.jpg

OK Fair enough. I opened up my light fitting and was presented with this

tQIZqAQ.jpg

Is it just a case of replacing the ceiling rose with a connector block and wiring it up the same as the rose above, mounting the hook and connecting it all up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Basically yes. Do not lose track of which black is neutral, and which is switched live.

Where will the connector block go?

Sponsored Links
Joe,
Much more expensive, but this is a Ceiling rose and Hook in one unit.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LDMC11E.html

Which light did you actually get, as that might change our suggestions?
SFK
I endorse SFK's, recommendation.

Yes, they are somewhat costly but they make installation easy. When the cleaning of any chandelier or hanging light is necessary, it is much better to take the luminaire down to floor level to clean it and then replace it by what is, virtually, a plug-in connection.

I endorse SFK's, recommendation.

Yes, they are somewhat costly but they make installation easy. When the cleaning of any chandelier or hanging light is necessary, it is much better to take the luminaire down to floor level to clean it and then replace it by what is, virtually, a plug-in connection.

Thanks, this looks like the most sensible solution.

Ban,
Doh, missed that - that is the Death Star lamp.

Joe,
Actually I would now ignore my suggestion as your lamp has no chain to hook onto the Ceiling rose hook that I suggested.

Might be better with this one, that has a 10kg static load.
You abandon the white cup cable cover from your light, and simply put the cable into this. Just dont pull too hard.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASPCR2000.html

SFK

I think it would still work as there is a plastic bit to hang on the hook.

Joe,
"there is a plastic bit to hang on the hook" >>> Okay, that sounds good

The 'hocked' ceiling roses that I first suggested are good and they have the same wiring and wire hole placement as your current ceiling rose and so are easy to use.

But as Ban said, mark and photo the cables before you unscrew so you know which holes to put back into.
SFK

Hmmmm, a quick measure of the Ikea 'cup' that hides the hanging bit and excess cable suggests it will no be deep enough to accommodate the hook of the ceiling rose.

Joe,
How hard do you have to pull the string to open the lamp?
Will the current ceiling rose take the load (many can take a lot of weight - think of all the glass lamps hanging from them)?

You could do a quick test-
1) Use the ceiling rose you have
2) Pull the cup down the wire a but (but do not remove)
3) Put the wire into your ceiling rose in teh same manner as the light your have removed from it.
4) Screw ceiling rose together.
5) Pull string and see if lamp opens and if ceiling stays up.

If all works remove White cup and re-do with wire cut to length that matches your requirements for height of lamp.

SFK

Yeah, this did cross my mind but thought it would be a bit of a bodge. However, realistically I don't think the lamp will be opened and closed very often so it might be worth a go.

Joe,
After seeing this video of it installed as per instructions using the IKEA provided metal plate and at 7min:24sec seeing all the cable bunched into the white cup, I would say that using existing Ceiling Rose is not a Bodge. In the end the Ceiling rose or Hook is screwed into ceiling in same location and that is the failure point (the hook or Ceiling rose being pulled off ceiling). The ceiling rose itself will take the load, and will look more 'normal' and hence invisible in a UK house, when compared with a badly fitted IKEA white cup.

SFK

It looks like the US version has a completely different set of mounting kit. This is mine

n81TieK.jpg

How about it just screw a small metal hook through the existing ceiling rose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back