Changing a ceiling rose to Wago connectors in order to fit an Ikea light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I know this has been covered many times before because I’ve just been sat reading through the posts. However my wiring is pre 2004 (black and red) I haven’t seen any posts containing this.

I’m looking to fit an Ikea ceiling light, and it’s turned into a much bigger job than I anticipated. Firstly I couldn’t attach a hook to the ceiling rose that’s up now, and when I did the light want close to the ceiling. Decided to get rid of the ceiling rose all together and bought some wago connectors.

https://ibb.co/R9TCbMJ

this is what Is up there at the moment, as you can see it’s not the newest of wiring. Would these still be suitable for wago boxes? I don’t think the earth cables are sleeved. I have a multimeter, are there any guides to do this with older wiring or should I follow the other posts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to untwist any twisted wires when using wagos. Any wire ends that are at snapping point from the previous connection need cutting back.

As you mention, the bare earths need sleeving.

You don't show what wagos you have, are they the correct size?

5amp connector blocks are also suitable for the job.

You need to 'copy' the existing wiring layout, so don't mix up the wires.

Some of these Ikea fittings require the wiring to be in an enclosure, but common sense has to prevail if doing such a thing becomes a drama.

Thank you. I have the three terminal wago boxes. I have cable strippers so I will make sure all ends are fresh before connecting them up. Would I test the wires beforehand? Ensure they are correct?

3 terminal wagos sound ok for what you have, assuming there is no earth connection required to the light fitting itself.

What size are the wagos, are they suitable for the size of the wires?

Can't see it's worth doing any testing, only verifying the circuit is fully dead before starting work.

Sponsored Links
Your right, didn't see that. I just googled wagos and they came up. Do you think they will work alright?

Just use choc blocks - No need to unravel them then. I assume there is no way the IKEA light fitting will fit over the ceiling rose?

If its not too late, mark the single black before you disconnect it, otherwise you will have problems later

A33-E578-D-27-F9-487-D-9-A78-EC715-FD6-E95-E.jpg

And when reconnecting it - I'm thinking that the single black should go to the light live wire and the double blacks should go to the neutral wire.

Or swap the brown and blue wires in this rose.

Why?
Because it is more likely that the 2 blacks are the loop in/loop out of the neutral.
The three reds are the loop in/loop out of the live wire + a red wire that goes to the switch.
The single black wire will be the switched live wire returning from the wall switch, providing live to the light.
(You can check this theory by looking behind the switch itself, it will be a red and black in the switch terminals).

It will not make any difference to how the light works, just be a better way of doing it.

Or swap the brown and blue wires in this rose.

Well spotted, a lot of fittings now are ES and although not recognised now by the regs, reverse polarity could be lethal on some of the more dubious ES lampholders

Thanks very much. Your help and advice is much appreciated. I’m goi g to tackle the light today hopefully so fingers crossed it goes smoothly

I used a slide in ceiling rose with hook. I know expensive, but holding the weight of a light fitting while wiring up not easy, the slide in ceiling rose allowed me to wire up on the floor.

Be it push in connector blocks or those needing a screw they need to be inside a junction box, and so it still leaves the root problem where to put the junction box. There is a spectal dispensation for a ceiling rose, it is the only place where you can get access to live wires without a key or tool.

All done now, thanks everyone for the help. Luckily there was a joist right where the wires came out so screwing the hook on was a doddle. Wires were a bit fiddly but I expected that. Can move on to my next task now haha

Be it push in connector blocks or those needing a screw they need to be inside a junction box, and so it still leaves the root problem where to put the junction box. There is a spectal dispensation for a ceiling rose, it is the only place where you can get access to live wires without a key or tool.
Lampholders also have the mains terminals (both the sprung pins that contactt the bulb and the terminals for the flex) accessible without a tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back