ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anybody know what the building regs are with regards to ceiling insulation between floors, this is in an extension to an existing property (domestic property - not flats) the rooms concerned are kitchen and bedroom.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
AD E hasn't changed, so providing you can provide an absorbent layer of mineral wool (min. 100mm thick / min. density 10kg/m3) laid within the cavity, between the joists, then you'll be fine.

That is correct. If the floor (or wall) was to seperate flats, then it would be sound and fire resistance.

Sponsored Links
The construction of the floor between rooms, is concrete Beam and block
above that is 30mm celotex type insulation (underfloor heating clipped to this - for room above) then 70mm sand and cement screed, do you think this is probably sufficient for satisfying sound proofing regulations without the need for adding further insulation beneath the ceiling.
Thanks

Oh apologies. Should have asked the construction before answering the question. I just assumed it was traditional timber. In that case, what is there at present should be more than sufficient.

Or change your signature to

:LOL:

Is it common practice for a building inspector to ask for an acoustic test to be carried out on a domestic property? following construction.

I have never been asked, nor am I aware of any BCO's requesting one... for an extension to a dwelling-house.

Have I got this right - you are building a two storey extension and the floor is going to be beam and block with a 70mm screed.

Why's that then?

jeds

above that is 30mm celotex type insulation (underfloor heating clipped to this - for room above

If this post was helpful in preventing further embarrassment :D feel free to re-register with multiple new identities and thank me under each new name.

Yes two storey dwelling with block and beam at first floor level - the main reason i built this way was to enable me to have a screeded underfloor heating system upstairs aswell as down.

Look, it's your house you can obviously do what you want - but I would have thought walking from a timber landing floor to a concrete bedroom floor would be a bit odd. Not to say expensive to build. Why not just fix the UFH to a timber floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back