ceiling leak from the flat above. Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a persistent leak problem that I'm struggling to get to the bottom of.

I own a ground floor flat (mid terrace) with another flat occupied above me. In the past 2 months the ceiling in my kitchen has begun to leak onto my work surfaces and window sill which is causing damage.

The source of the dripping ceiling seems to be coming from the other flat's kitchen above mine, either through pipework or another source of water. One plumber has already come to assess the damage but could not pinpoint the problem at all.

The head-scratcher is that the dripping ceiling only happens after midnight and before 7am the next morning. During the day there is no leaking evident. It makes me wonder whether there is a potential boiler issue upstairs or something timed with central heating (radiators)?

Every morning I'm emptying about an inch of water from a carefully placed bucket and I need to get this fixed properly as I worry about permanent damage to my property.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this problem might be?!

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Most likely a push fit pipe fitting leaking.

The mains water pressure increases overnight when there is no water being used.

Either needs a high pressure to be applied by a plumber or to look at the pipework at about 3 am!

Tony

Faults could be:

Washing machine valve - slight drip
Faulty float valve that overflows to the pipe work under the sink
Or a boiler faulty due to the timings.

Need a new plumber on the job.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back