Can i use anything to catch the odd drip aobve a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a leak from my bathroom down into the kitchen causing the ceiling to come down.

Leak has been fixed and I'm about to fix the ceiling. However I was wondering if there was anything I could put above the ceiling that could catch a drip? As I say the leak has been fixed but just in case someone soaks the floor or something upstairs is there anything that would abosrb the water and stop it reaching the ceiling??

Sponsored Links
You could use a plastic tray. I would wait till I know the leak has been fixed.

as I say im confident the leak has been fixed.

However I cant guarantee that if a lot of water gets splashed about the bathroom floor that it will not get through the bathroom floorboards!

Though I could line the ceiling with something to absorb any small amounts of water?

as I say im confident the leak has been fixed.

However I cant guarantee that if a lot of water gets splashed about the bathroom floor that it will not get through the bathroom floorboards!

Though I could line the ceiling with something to absorb any small amounts of water?

Bad idea; any dampness under there will cause mould growth & make the bathroom smell like you’ve got several dead rats under the floorbboards. Now you’ve fixed the leak, make sure water cannot get under the floor boards in the first place by sealing around the bath & installing a waterproof barrier on the floor (tiles, vinyl etc.) or stop the kids throwing water around!

Sponsored Links
ok thanks guys.

Just thought I could have used something to absorb it. I thought in shower tray bases they use lead to catch any wayward water?

although bodgers do sometimes place a receptacle to catch water*, it is preferable to be aware of leaks. One way is to continue the bathroom flooring (e.g. vinyl) under the bath so that any drips run out into the visible part of the room, prompting you to deal with them. By chance I happen to have a small hole in my kitchen ceiling above the sink. A few times the bath or basin has been left to overflow in the bathroom above, and water has trickled through it. Not a very good thing to happen but better than some alternative.

*I use to work in a large flat-roofed office block that Norman Foster won an award for. As is usual for flat roofs, it leaked and it even had internal guttering in the false ceiling to catch water and lead it away :eek: with buckets and basins up there to catch drips, in the expectation that the buckets would catch water during rain, and dry out in dry weather :eek: In periods of storms the buckets overflowed and the building maintenance people put downpipes in. At one time I had a dustbin next to my desk fed from one of these downpipes, and when it filled up they used to come round with a trolley to change it for an empty one.
This is the sort of thing that I think you should avoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back