Dripping Sound Above Bathroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone in the plumbing trade advise me as to what may be the cause of a slow dripping sound seemingly coming from above my bathroom ceiling?

I contacted the neighbour above who had just ran a bath, now the bath has been run empty the dripping seems to have stopped.

I have felt the bathroom ceiling but no signs of dampness.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A plasterboard ceiling can hold a lot of water before it comes down :idea: . Your neighbour`s bath needs looking @ under the bath panel- should be easy diy to remove it and check out ;) . Concrete ceiling in block of flats , you won`t be hearing dripping - must be something else .

Thanks, I did explain to the neighbour that there had been a similar problem in the past, and if I remember it was a loose water hose connector for the bath, does that sound feasible?

The dripping sound has stopped now that the bath is empty, does this narrow the causes would you think?

Sponsored Links
The trap/waste connection from the bath is probably leaking, if it was a cold/hot water connection it would drip all the time.

Is it a dripping sound or a ticking sound?

It could be the plastic waste pipe is expanding slightly and rubbing against floor joists when the hot bath water is drained.

I mean how much noise does water make when it drips on a ceiling from a few inches up?

Of course if there is a wet patch then its leaking but I would suspect the above first.

It's hard to say what it sounded like, but it was constant with what a small leak would sound like.

By the way the noise could be heard prior to their bath being emptied.

It might be leaking between the chrome bath waste and the bath, so its only leaking when there is water in the bath.

If the slow dripping sound was heard during the bath being filled as well as when it was being emptied, would this narrow the cause do you think?

It might be leaking between the chrome bath waste and the bath, so its only leaking when there is water in the bath.

Seemingly the centre screw needed tightening at the water outlet in the bath, and water must have been getting through between the chrome plate, so the plate is tighter to the bath.

They ran the tap for 5 or 10 minutes and no sign of leak.

Is that what you meant picasso?

certainly was ;)

On mine there is no screw to tighten, but there was on their bath.

Mines is much older, but then I have not had a problem like this with leaks, well at least it hasn't been reported to me.

Let's hope I have no further problems.

Can you confirm which part is the chrome bath waste, is it the overflow hole, or where the water empties where the plug goes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back