Ceiling light 60s house

1dcdvc.jpg

Sponsored Links
File_000.jpeg

Finally a photo....... hope it's good enough, any more advice appreciated!

Your photo appears to show both reds from one cable in the same terminals and nothing on one side of the lamp.

I think the black is incorrectly labelled as a line conductor. I think it is neutral.

You would need to test with a multimeter to check, but if the black is N, then, with the power on, you should get mains voltage on the red and black. Take care carrying out this test.

The other pair is a twin red and this should go to the switch. Again, this can be verified by using the continuity setting on the MM (with the power off). When the switch is closed, the MM will beep. When the switch is open, the beep will stop.

If this is the case, then one of the reds from the twin red cable goes in the loop terminals in the centre of the rose along with the red from the other cable.

The other red is the switched live to one side of the lamp and the black will be the N to the lamp.

You may need to find out which red is the feed and which the switch wire, if the permanent live is tapped off from in the switch.

Don't forget to put some earth sleeving on the bare wires and park them in the E terminal.

Sponsored Links
WAIT A MINUTE.

Could it be two twin-and-earth cables?

A cable with one red, one black, and one bare earth - this being the feed cable.

And a cable with two reds, and one bare earth - this being the switch cable.

?

Gold medal to SW (with a bit of luck!)

I don't know if you are just practicing, but the cables go through the hole in the rose.
Even if you are and had got it right, you would still have to do it all again.

The lamp wires should not be behind the other wires; they should be hooked around the pegs.
(Although there is a cable restraint on the flex itself)

Sparkwright and Securespark - Thank you!
The light fitting is now up and working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back