New light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new ceiling light which I've attempted to install. The wiring from the ceiling is as follows: 1 black with red sleeve, one red and one earth.

The new light has three wires blue, brown and g/y for earth. What is the right way to connect this to the light? The the black/red wire the 'live' wire or the red?

I've tried to look at the reference section but many of the posts are not showing their pictures!

Sponsored Links
Its a little bit unusual to just have one cable from the ceiling, especially as you have a red sleeve on the black, implying that it is a switched live, but if that is definitely all that you have, connect the red to the brown, black to the blue, earth to earth, and see what happens.

There is no definite answer for which is live, but I've guessed at the solid red. Shouldn't matter if you reverse live and neutral anyway.....

Sponsored Links
yep it was a 'normal light' operated by a dimmer switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back