Ceiling light fitting HELP !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m moving into a new house, that has old electrics in that work /worked fine. I asked a friend who is a qualified sparky to come and change a few ceiling roses over as they were dated and just dirty. He has had issues with one of the bedroom lights as it is looped from the bathroom and bedroom next door. Before he changed the fitting over it worked but now it doesn’t and will not turn on. He says he has “tried” several different ways of fitting it but it either wont turn on or blows the fuse. Any help/ advice would be great. I’m currently training in electronics so do have a bit of knowledge of how it works but not complete knowledge of how old wiring works. I’ve attached photos of the ceiling rose and the wiring in the light switch. I’ve spoken to another sparky and he seems to think there is a junction box somewhere else.
91B78E84-3359-40B9-A591-4A99C8C3544D.jpeg
3A0E4D15-F222-454F-8216-3966B3543C7A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Three reds to the middle terminal labelled loop.
Now assuming that in its current state, Nothing tips when you switch the light switch, all your other lights work, but this one does not. Then:

The two blacks together (currently on the right) need to go in the neutral terminal with the blue of the flex and be terminated better than they are.
The black on its own (currently on left) needs to be identified with red sleeve and go in the live terminal with the brown from the flex
(it would work with them transposed, but wants straightening out)
(hence the number of terminations in each plate....)

Your mate isn't a qualified electrician btw

You need to do some testing to establish which is the switch cable,and therefore which of the black wires is the switched line . Your" qualified electrician" is an idiot if that's his wiring in your pic ,and he can't work out the fault.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back