ceiling light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi......I am fitting new bathroom light, after removing old fitting i have found.....3 blue neutral, 3 brown live, 2 earths, then a single black and a single grey wire, which do not fit in the new fitting.
Where do black and grey wires go, as i got it wrong and now all upstairs ceiling lights are blown. :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
You seem to have too many blues and not enough earths: it does not add up.

Post a picture.

Next time, make a note of where the wires were connected to BEFORE disconnecting them!!!!

Thanks for getting back to me. Have taken a pic, not sure if its any good to you. Am posting this via my partner as he was one that messed up.....lol.

Thanks for getting back to me. Have taken a pic, not sure if its any good to you. Am posting this via my partner as he was one that messed up.....lol.

Not a clear enough view of all wires/connections, whats with the neutrals in an uninsulated connection? looks like the live conductors are the same?, looks like its been stripped out of a ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Yes, as far as I can make out, the number of browns and blues doesn't tally, unless a blue switched live hasn't been mentioned.

The poster needs to identify which brown and blue goes to the light switch.

Those brass terminals, obviously been nicked from the old bathroom fitting, cannot be used. You need prober insulated terminal blocks.

Trying to cram all those wires in the new fitting is not a good idea either. Fitting a 20 amp junction box above may be the best solution, with one twin and earth cable going to the junction box.

One needs to inspect the inside of the fan to assess what the black and grey are - one would assume one is switched live and one is neutral.

You really, really should have made a note of those connections first - how could anyone not in the know possibly guess correctly where those wires go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back