Ceiling light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice, hope someone can help :)

Ok, i have a ceiling light that i got, and basically, when i removed my old light in the ceiling im presented by three wires, a black, red and earth wire.

Now the light i have has got space for the live and neutral wires to go in, but nowhere on it to put the earth wire.

Does this mean i dont need to earth this light as there is no where to put the wire? Or do i have to find a way of attaching it to the light?

Hope someone can help :)

Sponsored Links
Is it a new light? If so it should say if an earth is required. If no earth is required, use a terminal block to terminate the earth cable.

Yeah its brand new, doesnt say on the instructions to earth it, but then its an ikea light so the instructions are sparse! Could i just wrap the wire end up in insulation tape?

Sponsored Links
Not really. Best to use a screw in type (looks like a lego brick). It really should say in the instructions or on the box or on the fitting, that the light is double-insulated. Or there may be a double square symbol on it somewhere. If not, then get someone electrically-minded to have a look, particularly if it's a metal light fitting.

Not really. Best to use a screw in type (looks like a lego brick). It really should say in the instructions or on the box or on the fitting, that the light is double-insulated. Or there may be a double square symbol on it somewhere. If not, then get someone electrically-minded to have a look, particularly if it's a metal light fitting.

Yeah it has a double square symbol on the plastic internal section of the bit that attaches to the ceiling.

Then it's double insulated and doesn't need an earth.

As sparkyspike said, terminate the earth in a bit of choc-block.

TLCON15.JPG

And put g/y sleeving on any of it that's exposed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back