No Earth in Light Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help me and shed some light (pardon the pun) on my problem.
My new house has old wiring (built 1968). I'm trying to fit a new ceiling light in my living room, but the old wiring consist of: two black wires (twisted together at the ends) and one red wire. I understand that red is live and black is neutral, but there is no earth wire. Is this safe? The old wires are housed in old metal conduit pipes ( which are located throughout the house). When fitting my new light, to where should I attach the earth wire from my new light. Hope someone can help!

Sponsored Links
Your house was wired under the 14th edition, which should include provision for a cpc in the lighting circuit.

Is the conduit continuous throughout the property?

If so, is it connected to the metalclad consumer unit?

If you can say yes to these questions, you may have an earth connection via the conduit.

It is still possible even if you have a new CU that is not attached to the conduit that the earth continuity has been maintained.

Using a two-pole voltage tester & great care, what reading do you get between a live & the conduit?

Earthing? You'll never get me up in one of those - probably invented by the Jerries
I'm still working from this version -

One Shilling and Sixpence!!

Isnt that 7.5p in new money. Bet the IEE didnt have a marble building in those days - just an Anderson Shelter, maybe?

Sponsored Links
I remember my grandmother back in the early sixties used to plug her elecric iron into an adaptor in the light socket,It makes cringe just thinking about it.

andy

Lovely, I bet that was in the bathroom using one of those brown two way bayonet adaptors?

Lovely, I've got one of those somewhere, probably its stored underneath the gas mantles....

It certainly was on of those adaptors but not in the bathroom because they didn't have one,There was an outside lav and a tin bath in the cellar and lead water pipes.

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back