Ceiling light query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m upgrading the lighting in my 1980’s home over the last year & every time I’ve come across a problem, fortunately I’ve had u guys on here to help me & I’ve solved it, thanks very much, now I have another problem.
In my latest project (lounge light only one switch) there are 2 blacks twisted, 2 reds twisted & 2 singles, see pic below.

But my new fitting only has a L & N in the terminal block.

Is my system a loop wiring system? Coz it says in the instructions that I may need to change the terminal block from a 3 way to a 4 way, & if so could u tell me what goes where, I assume the 2 twisted blacks are neutral & the 2 twisted reds are live, & the singles will go in the extra block?

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
as you look at pic the single black is the switched live this goes to the live of your fitting. the two blacks are the neutral and go to the neutral of your fitting the red go together on a new single connrctor block all earths together with earth of your light fitting if it has one

just read your new fitting has no earth so earths together on a connector block

You have a standard loop in fitting.
The three reds are the live feed
the two blacks are the neutrals
the single black is the switched live.
The green wire is actually three wires twisted together inside 1 sleeving. These are your earths.

You need to put a piece of red sleeving or red tape onto the single red, and wire the new fitting like this:

chockblock9jz.gif

Sponsored Links
Here's my new fitting

So i guess i'm gonna have to get myself a 4 way terminal block as in your diagram, thanks for your help

renegade74 said:
Here's my new fitting

So i guess i'm gonna have to get myself a 4 way terminal block as in your diagram, thanks for your help

You already have three of them on your fitting.

You just need an extra one for the loop connection (the top one on the diagram)

ren, your fitting must be earthed that little tag on the black pad goes into the centre block with that earth flying lead, this looks as if it screws on to the fitting somewhere

Took me a while, but i got there in the end. Your diagram was a great help spark123 & thanks for the advice every1 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back