ceiling light still live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a 3 bulb spot light strip on the ceiling as a main light.
Turned off both the lighting rings on the main switch coming in and the wires appear to be live still - any ideas?

Ian

Sponsored Links
I wasnt! I turned off both lighting circuits and was cutting away excess wire with a pair of pliers, and this tripped the main rcd even with the power off. Lucky they were insulated.

Well, if you cut across neutral and the CPC at the same time, and short them, then you create an imbalance for the other circuits that are still live, so the main RCD will trip.

If you want to cut the conductors without tripping the RCD, then cut them individually.

Sponsored Links
So even with the lighting circuits off, i cut the wires and it still trips the main rcd?

I don't understand what your question is - please could you rephrase it?

Edit:

Ah - I think I get it now. You're assuming that by turning off the lighting MCB you are isolating the relevant circuit completely. Not so - you have isolated the phase, but not the neutral, and in most domestic installations the neutral from all circuits are connected at the CU.

Yes, neutral and earth are at very slightly different potential, shorting them allows a very small current to flow which unbalences the RCD causing it to trip.

If you want to stop this, then as long as you are confident what you are doing, you can disconnect the neutral at the CU while you work on the circuit, otherwise just ensure you do not touch neutral to earth

Softus, I had the lighting circuit switched to off and was shortening the wires to install a new light - didnt realise it could still trip the rcd on the consumer unit.

I take it its still ok to wire the new lights in just not let neutral and earth touch?

OK - circular and crossing postings are making this hard to read now, but the answer is yes: it's ok to wire the new lights in, and if you prevent neutral and earth from touching then the RCD will not trip.

As a suggestion, if you wire in the neutral first then the chances of it touching an earth are reduced.

Ok thanks.
There are 3 sets of wires coming from the ceiling and i only need to use one set to wire up the new light.
I just join the 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths up using chop blocks is that correct?

ian1888ah said:
Ok thanks.
There are 3 sets of wires coming from the ceiling and i only need to use one set to wire up the new light.
I just join the 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths up using chop blocks is that correct?
see for reference - you will need to use all the wires, you should have noted what goes where before you took the old light down.

It was 3 spotlights, there were live neutral an earth going into each one. No other wires.

Hm, I suspect you're well on the way towards getting confused.

I surmise that the fact there were previously three bulbs is a red herring. Commonly there are three sets of wires, and one of these is connected to the switch - do connect the red from this set to the phase, along with the other two reds, but DON'T connect the black to the other two blacks, because it is the "switched live". To do so would cause a direct short between phase and neutral on the lighting circuit, and would case the MCB to trip whenever you turn on the switch to your new light.

You now need to visit the reference section and follow the wiring diagram. If you didn't note which black wire was previously used as the switched live, then you need to put a meter across each red/black pair, and turn on the switch, to find out.

If you don't understand this, then please ask, but do visit the ref section first.

ian1888ah said:
It was 3 spotlights, there were live neutral an earth going into each one. No other wires.
You say you had a 3 spotlight strip fitting, and these 3 cables in one hole in your ceiling were terminated onto each spotlight individually? Unlikely . . . Is this the wiring you noted down before removing the old fitting, or are you guessing?

If your wiring is normal, there is a switch pair there, and you will need a piece of terminal block to make an extra connection. See for reference to see how its done!

There were 3 sets of 3 core wires coming from the ceiling and each set connected to each individual spot light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back