ceiling light still live

where do these 3 sets of wires lead? can you get above? they all come through the same hole?

"3 sets of 3 core wires" = 3 no. Twin and Earth cables?

do any of the black cores have a red tape or marker on them?

Sponsored Links
Thats correct 3 sets of twin and earth from the same hole. Cant get above to see were they come from.

one of the T+E went to one set of terminal blocks for one light

one went to another set of terminal blocks for another light

and one went to the final terminal blocks to the 3rd light?

I find this very hard to believe. :eek:

Yes thats correct, they were all wired directly into the bulb holders, thats why i was cutting the wires down as the 2 side ones were about 18" long.

Sponsored Links
strange way of doing it. wire all 3 into choc block and wire the light to this in that case! Though the neater way of doing it would be to pull out the 2 extra wires.

ian1888ah said:
Yes thats correct, they were all wired directly into the bulb holders, thats why i was cutting the wires down as the 2 side ones were about 18" long.
Are there three separate switches, so you could switch each light individually? That's the only reason I can think of that they'd have a separate cable for each one.

If there are three switches, what are you planning to do with the two that now aren't being used?

Cheers,

Howard

No only 1 switch.
It is a wooden ceiling though so i think they may be running from an old fitting still on the original ceiling.
I have wired the new light up now and all works fine. The remaining to wires i have put in chop blocks and taped up.

In that case you almost certainly have a junction box to which those three cables are connected, as well as cables for radial circuit in, radial circuit out, and the switch.

You can either locate that junction box, and remove any redundant cables, or terminate each of the redundant cables in a connector block and then tape them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back