Ceiling light wired into mains plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
T&E is not meant to go into plugs.

Can you not obtain a length of flexible cable?

Otherwise - yes.

Sponsored Links
For a single light, 0.75mm² flex would be adequate provided that a 3A fuse was fitted in the plug. 0.75mm² flex "clipped direct" has a current-carrying capacity of 6A, and the next smallest fuse is technically 5A, but 3A is easier to obtain, and well within the current requirements of the lamp. You will only find 2.5mm² flex in high current applications like caravan hookups. 2.5mm² flex is rated at 25A, and 1.5 at 16A HTH

For a single light, 0.75mm² flex would be adequate provided that a 3A fuse was fitted in the plug. 0.75mm² flex "clipped direct" has a current-carrying capacity of 6A, and the next smallest fuse is technically 5A, but 3A is easier to obtain, and well within the current requirements of the lamp. You will only find 2.5mm² flex in high current applications like caravan hookups. 2.5mm² flex is rated at 25A, and 1.5 at 16A HTH

Thank you.

What if I wanted to wire in a light switch instead of simply fitting a plug?

Could I run a cable from the plug socket to a light switch and then up to the light fixture?

What if I wanted to wire in a light switch instead of simply fitting a plug?

Could I run a cable from the plug socket to a light switch and then up to the light fixture?

You could spur off the socket using 2.5mm to the supply side of a switched FCU.

Then wire from the load side of FCU to your light fitting. Fit a 3amp fuse. The switch on the FCU can be used to control the light.

I'm not sure if its ok the spur of the socket if the sockets already a spur though?

I've just discovered that the plug sucket is supplied by a 1.5 cable fed from what used to be an immersion heater switch point. (It's not the economy 7 spur, but rather the all day standard electricity circuit.

I think it might be best to replace that wiring with 2.5 from the spur to the plug and then to the light switch. Then reduce down as you say to 1.5 from the the light switch to the light fixture.

If it's still protected by a 15A fuse or 16A MCB as immersions usually are, then 1.5mm² is fine - and

you don't really need an FCU with another fuse; just a switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back