Ceiling Light Wiring Block Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am changing a ceiling light to a similar non-rose light and found the following wiring. My question is, is this safe enough for me to just wire up the new one or is that taped up block a little iffy?

Thanks so much for your time I just need some peace of mind!

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_155439034.jpg
    IMG_20180108_155439034.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
Assuming it’s all enclosed in the light fitting and not pushed up into the ceiling it’s fine.

Wouldn’t hurt to remove the tape and check the screws are tight. You don’t necessarily need to put more tape on afterwards. The light fitting is acting as the enclosure

Assuming it’s all enclosed in the light fitting and not pushed up into the ceiling it’s fine.

Wouldn’t hurt to remove the tape and check the screws are tight. You don’t necessarily need to put more tape on afterwards. The light fitting is acting as the enclosure

Thanks very much for this, I feel more assured that it was done properly in that case rather than a botch job by the last owner's. Will take the tape off and tighten the screws but no the wires stay housed in the actual housing of the light fitting.

Thanks again, think you might have saved me a bob or two there.

Make sure the power is off to the circuit to do that, not just by turning off the light switch

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I did make sure it was off at the fuse box but well worth mentioning!

Looks like there's room to replace the 3-way bit of choc with 4-way, and thus avoid having any dangling bits - would surely make it easier to get it into the light fitting.

Looks like there's room to replace the 3-way bit of choc with 4-way, and thus avoid having any dangling bits - would surely make it easier to get it into the light fitting.

Oh really, that sounds very useful but I am not entirely sure what is under that tape and how to connect it up to a 4 way box, which incidentally is what came with the light fitting (4 way box i mean).

So i tried to mount it up but unfortunately the wiring block is right in the way of where the light fixture bit is. Does anyone know if it is safe to make a new drill holes about 2-3cm to the right of the existing holes? I don't want to hit any wires when drilling but assume these are going toward the light switch. There seems to be almost no wiggle room to move the box and wires and am not keen to wrestle the parts in there seen as we're dealing with electricity!
IMG_20180113_122149443.jpg IMG_20180113_130234159.jpg

Oh really, that sounds very useful but I am not entirely sure what is under that tape
Something you remove or undo.

and how to connect it up to a 4 way box, which incidentally is what came with the light fitting (4 way box i mean).
So you have a 3-way strip in use, and a loose flappy bit, you replace the 3-way with a 4-way and you don't understand where to put the wires from the loose flappy bit?

upload_2018-1-13_13-33-35.png

o_O

Something you remove or undo.

So you have a 3-way strip in use, and a loose flappy bit, you replace the 3-way with a 4-way and you don't understand where to put the wires from the loose flappy bit?

View attachment 134475

o_O

Ok when you put it like that i guess it was a little stupid. So the wires from the loose box go into the 4th "hole" but do they all go in one side and if so why are they there if they are only ever going to go into a box and do nothing?

Does anyone see any issues with drilling new holes for the mounting bracket, will i hit wires?

Having said that maybe i won't have to if i put it all neatly in one box as suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back