Ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

After some advice. Trying to put a new light up. I have 4 wires consisting of below:

1 red and black
1 black
1 red and black
1 red and yellow.

Previous light was 3 reds together, 3 blacks together. Yellow in separate block on its own.

I have tried to use same fixtures for previous light (brown to 3 reds, blue to 3 blacks) but new light remains on all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I rather think you are mistaken about the old connections.

Do any of the wires have a red or brown sleeve or tape on them?

Also, What happens when you operate the light switch?

Hiya mate

Just double checked and the single black has a red that is not connecting anywhere.

One thing to add is that red and yellow wire have a blue wire that is not connected anywhere?

Old light is okay, new light remains on with switch in off position.

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=6975382410

So in total 3 * black and red and 1 * red, yellow and blue.

Sponsored Links
Do you have anyway of testing for continuity, such as multimeter or continuity tester?
Sound like you have linked the switch out leaving it permanently live.
As for core colours and cables not connected, could be that these cables/terminations are now redundant or even whoever installed the cables was happy using anything.
I assume the light only works off of one switch and do you know what core colours are within the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back