Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just purchased and fitted a replacement for a kitchen ceiling light from Homebase (Clandon White Sphere) https://www.homebase.co.uk/clandon-sphere-flushlight-white_p292127

It states a max. 28W B22 or LED 10 W bulb. It is connect directly to the house (lighting circuit) No Ceiling Rose back plate.

My question is this, considering the 13 W LED that I plan to use does not generate the same amount of heat as the 28W B22, the electric connections are standard and can cope with 28 W is there any reason why I cannot use the 13 W LED?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Coops

Sponsored Links
Says 60W max on the link you gave.

Maybe in your case they're just worrying that it'll look terrible with a super powerful bulb in it?

Cheers John

Interesting, I didn't notice that, in the instructions, it states Max 28 W B22, but then again the instructions stated that screw were not included, but were.
Looking to sell the house soon so use to replace with the same type. The lampshade section is smaller than the original (not same make). Will be using larger original as this fits.

Any other ideas/advice welcome.

I have to admit that light fittings although not unique in this, seem to be the worst for having incorrect, confusing and contradictory instructions. Generally as long as you have regards to the instructions, you should fit it according to good practice.

Sponsored Links
My question is this, considering the 13 W LED that I plan to use does not generate the same amount of heat as the 28W B22, the electric connections are standard and can cope with 28 W is there any reason why I cannot use the 13 W LED?
Maybe a 13W LED would get too hot inside that light. Not hot enough to damage the light, but hot enough to shorten the life of the bulb.

Just purchased and fitted a replacement for a kitchen ceiling light from Homebase (Clandon White Sphere) https://www.homebase.co.uk/clandon-sphere-flushlight-white_p292127

It states a max. 28W B22 or LED 10 W bulb. It is connect directly to the house (lighting circuit) No Ceiling Rose back plate.

I refer the OP to http://sound.whsites.net/articles/incandescent.htm about half-way down at "CFLs in Existing Luminaire"
This details the problems of using CFLs in fittings without sufficient ventilation.

The ventilation/cooling requirements for LEDs are similar in that many components associated with the LED cannot tolerate what may seem to be even modest temperature rises.

Last edited:
ban-all-sheds and FrodoOne

Cheers for advice -FrodoOne - good article about CFL bulbs, however, I an using LED bulbs.

Any thoughts

My thoughts are:

1. There are problems in using CFLs in fittings without sufficient ventilation.
  2. The ventilation/cooling requirements for LEDs are similar in that many components associated with the LED cannot tolerate what may seem to be even modest temperature rises.

Coops
You can use the 13W LED, but the enclosed space means that it will get hotter and fail quicker than a 10W LED.
If you can cope with a higher failure rate you are okay to use a 13W LED.
SFK

SFK - Thanks, As long as it is only failure and not fire I am happy to replace bulb sooner.

Coops

Coops,
Although LED chips should fail faster under overheating condition, they should fail safely (ie no fire) - But no promises.
And I see it as the LED bulb itself will be producing <10W of heat, and they have rated the lamp to take up to 28W of heat, so <10W of radiated heat unlikely to be a fire starter in that lamp.
So I see it as being relatively unlikely to case a fire.
sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back