Ceiling lighting.

J

johnnojob

Hi all,i want to have some new lights fitted into my lounge ceiling but the ceiling has only 120mm void as there is a loft floor above (storage only).
i was looking at recessed box quad units but the instructions mention not to cover due to heat.
my electrician told me to do the research and find something suitable.
so what type of lighting can i use,i prefer the recessed box quad type of lights as less holes to make in ceiling.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling is unsuitable to be cut in to and due to space restriction.
You have two options
1) forget about the downlights
2) raise your loft floor level, so you can install them.

As you are cutting into the ceiling and the lights fitting is going to be sat in the void, this will mean that your loft insulation would be compromised by this, as these types of lights generally can not be covered by insulation, due to the fire risk. But you can buy insulation guards.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities.you have mis read my question and i suggest you try again.
So please read my original question and post a reply if you are compentent.
Thanks to printiceboyofderry,helpful reply fella,your on my pints list.

Onwards and upwards.

Taylortwocities.you have mis read my question and i suggest you try again.
So please read my original question and post a reply if you are compentent.
Thanks to printiceboyofderry,helpful reply fella,your on my pints list.

Onwards and upwards.

Oh, contraire. I understand completely your question.
Your issue is that the lights you are planning to fit are completely unsuitable for the situation.

Your original post should give YOU a clue
my electrician told me to do the research and find something suitable.
Those lights are not suitable. Do some research. What's the problem?

Thanks for reply my electrician is never sober for long enough to do research.
but he does research beer and whisky,well he is late sixties and if you mention internet to him he laughs.

Thanks for reply my electrician is never sober for long enough to do research.
but he does research beer and whisky,well he is late sixties and if you mention internet to him he laughs.
If you want to provide light for the room then you should use one or perhaps two of these: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2808.html

Alternatively, for spots of light (narrow band of light) like you are proposing you could consider: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FL5514.html

or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/JC13034.JPG

I expect he laughs too when you mention things like "wiring regulations", "building regulations", "testing".

If you use this drunken fool then you're an even bigger idiot than you have appeared to be so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back