Ceiling line crack repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 2 long line crack on a ceiling, I think it's where plasterboards meet. Pls see pic below.

Will it work if I make cracks deeper like V groove, fill and put mesh tape and decorate?

Any other ideas welcome

TIA

IMG_6233.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The tape is the most important aspect.

Without tape it will just crack again.

Has it been taped before?

Covering the tape without seeing the mesh, and not leaving a visible bump along the ceiling is very important too.

I don't know how experienced you are at this, but be warned - unless you know what you are doing you can easily make a pig's ear of this.

May also be worth checking there are sufficient screws screwed into the joists.

(If you're feeling lazy, just screw two long battens over the cracks and paint them. I didn't say that.)

The tape is the most important aspect.

Without tape it will just crack again.

Has it been taped before?

Covering the tape without seeing the mesh, and not leaving a visible bump along the ceiling is very important too.

I don't know how experienced you are at this, but be warned - unless you know what you are doing you can easily make a pig's ear of this.

May also be worth checking there are sufficient screws screwed into the joists.

(If you're feeling lazy, just screw two long battens over the cracks and paint them. I didn't say that.)
I am a DIYer done lots of decorating but haven't done such before.
My main concern is I have to cover the mesh tape with filler, this will generate a lump higher than the ceiling itself, how to avoid such? Do I need to fill a bigger area either side of the tape and try to smooth so won't be visible?

I'd say a sharp knife to cut away either side of the crack and fill in the gap, smooth level...but rather you than me. That's a lot of ceiling to fill and a high probability of catastrophe. Maybe replaster the whole thing?

Sponsored Links
I'd say a sharp knife to cut away either side of the crack and fill in the gap, smooth level...but rather you than me. That's a lot of ceiling to fill and a high probability of catastrophe. Maybe replaster the whole thing?
You mean 2-3mm skim. It's plan B

I may try a small area to tape and see how it goes,

Looks like joints are sagging , may need a few screws to secure or will just open again .

Looks like joints are sagging , may need a few screws to secure or will just open again .
Agree, there is little movement when I press in one or two areas.
How do I make sure where the joists are? To avoid pipe or cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back