ceiling mounted downlight - lots of cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a ceiling mounted down light in my ensuite, however i have an abundance of cables to deal with and sure what to do with them...

Basically 2 lights in en-suite both to be recessed down lights.

first light only has 1 cable - live and neutral already in its own junction box. therefore simple to connect down light live and neutral to. job done. (it was already a type of recessed fitting over shower)

The second however was connected into batten type light fitting which I'm replacing. Cables are as follows...

4 no. red which are loops
2 no red which are live
4 no. earth cables
4 no neutrals ( 3black 1 blue)

1 no. cable goes straight to light switch

I gather that i need to group the gables together as per the batten holder, however how do i do this. I did buy a 4 terminal circular junction box however this appears to be unsuitable as it is very difficult to group the cables.

Please could I have some advice?

Thank you

Gary

P.S I have bought proper lights that can be used in zone 1 areas.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

What size is your downlighter ? you would you be able to use one of these if it can be accessed through the hole created by the downlight ?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CHOCBOX.html

Ed

Sorry, just to add. this would make your 'screwed connections' 'accessible'. You should check that the choc box is suitable/'rated' over the size of the circuit breaker. And that all cables/ + the choc box are far away from the fitting when it is put into final position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back