Ceiling paint wrinkling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I found there is a wrinkle on the paint in one area of my kitchen ceiling. By touching it feels soft like a bubble. The ceiling was painted a few years ago. The room above is a bathroom. But there is no sign of leaking, no yellow water marks etc. Could it be due to heat or moisture from cooking? A picture is attached. It’s in the centre.
Any advice is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• C80F4800-DA90-402E-9C33-8446E8C82871.jpeg
    C80F4800-DA90-402E-9C33-8446E8C82871.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Newby2, good evening.

Sorry but no matter what I try to do, the digital image posted does not give a view of your problem?

Can I suggest???, hopefully using a torch [if possible a really bright one?] shine the torch across the ceiling and take an image of that, hopefully the shadows assist in image enhancement.

As an aside can I suggest you pierce the bulge with a pin? there may be a leak in the Bathroom as yet tiny and unseen, why because if the bulge is dry the pin hole cannot be seen???

The image posted below shows a kitchen base kick plate with a torches bright light shone along the length of the kick plate to indicate the degree of water damage to the bottom section of the kick plate.

it is not possible to see the damage by shining a light directly on to the surface of the kick plate, also the kick plate appears undamaged under normal light, the moisture meter indicates that the chipboard kick plate has about 70% Moisture content?

Ken

Attachments

• DSC01354.JPG
    DSC01354.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 109
I wouldn't expect cooking heat or moisture to be an issue.

Based on the quality of the image I would be inclined to think that you have a plasterboard join that has failed and resulted in the paint blowing. If you were to tell me that the paint on the ceiling is silk/etc rather than matt emulsion I would be even more inclined to assume that a crack has occurred where two boards meet.

Can you provide more info?

Is the ceiling plasterboard? Do you have shiny(ish) paint on the ceiling?

Have you followed KenGMac's advice? You have nothing to lose, and if there are waterlogged plasterboard joins, discovering sooner rather than later would be preferable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back