Ceiling Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Need some advice on the best ceiling paint to use. I have used Dulux vinyl matt for all my jobs but I find it hard not to end up with nasty roller lines. Especially when you catch it in the light or look towards the window. I understand Supermatt has no vinyl in it so would this solve my problem?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you may find its technique rather than the actual paint.

Commonly roller marks occur where you are rolling paint onto the previous run where it has part dried so its lifting and stippling the surface (a bit like artex in minuature). The other thing is to resist the temptation to touch up an area with your roller for the same reasons

Try diluting your emulsion by about 10%, it won't thin it out, but will keep the paint wetter for longer so you're always working to a wet edge.

I had this problem for ages and fiddled about with different paints before I caught onto the dilution trick, since then nae probs.

You will find different emulsions have different densities so the 10% is not hard and fast so you may need to shoogle about a bit. Also bear in mind how dry your surfaces are and the temperature/humidity. For example a place that has had central heating going 24/7 and you're painting in mid summer you may go up to 15-20%.

Or..whack a coat of soft sheen on first to give you a bit more working time..

As Aardvark says thin the paint out too..dont have a breeze blowing through the room and keep it cool..use a longish pile sleeve not a short pile...the longer it takes you to put it on and the less paint you put on the quickers its going to dry on the edges.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa, handy tip about soft sheen - logical, but you learn something new every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back