Ceiling pendant with mysterious yellow and blue cables runni

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling rose+pendant that I am wiring for the first time (currently bare wires and has been since we moved in).
All the wires are coloured as expected on the circuit however from the switch I have blue, yellow, red and earth cables. I know that there is a fan that comes on when the light comes on. Any advice on how to wire these mystery cables (there is no red tag on any of the black cables)???????? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
wire the wires into where?

if it is the switch, look in the same room and you will (should ) find another switch with the same wires, copy that one. its called two way switching ( i say that becuse there are no rules as to which should go where)

Sorry if I didnt make it clear - currently there is no ceiling rose - however there clearly used to be. I am trying to fit a rose to allow me to have a light in there. Also want to set it up so that the fan comes on when the light does.

On inspection of the pull cord switch there is a red, black and earth running to it from the mains and the same exiting it.

The fan however has a red, blue, yellow and earth running from it to the main rose.

To complicate matters further there are an addittional 2xred, 2xblack and 2xearth cables running off this one to presumably power a pull cord light and continue the circuit?

Confused as to the best way to wire this as I have not come across this yellow cable before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As breezer said, the blue and yellow wires are usually used for two way switching. Perhaps on your fan / light it is so that the fan can be switched on with the light either on or off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back