Ceiling Rose and Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm replacing 3 light fittings in my attic and I seem to have developed a problem. The circuit is basically a ceiling rose that is switched for the central light with two spurs off it to another two lights at either end of the attic space. When the switch is thrown all 3 lights used to come on. After my replacement I've used low energy bulbs (compact flourescent types) now when I turn the switch all 3 just flutter/ blink rapidly also if I take the central bulb out they all go out. I thought it might just be the bulbs but the same happens with normal bulbs.

Can anybody suggest a remedy?

Sponsored Links
You have wired your lamps in series.... i.e. taken the 'neutral' from one lamp to the 'live' of the next. The fluorescent lamps won't strike because they don't see the full mains voltage, and removing a lamp results in an open circuit.

You need to re-examine (and correct) the connections at the rose(s).

And you need to take on board the concept that you should learn how things work before you fiddle with them, rather than assuming that even though you don't understand it it will be perfectly OK for you to just dive in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back