Buzz from celing rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of an ongoing saga with a replacement hallway light.
Bought a five bulb hallway light to replace an old single bulb one. Removed the original ceiling rose and have wired the live, neutral and earth wires into the connector block correctly. The connector block sits in the hole in the ceiling and the other wires are kind of mashed into a shallow chrome rose.
One bulb blew twice within a couple of days, so I ensured all the connections were well spaced and anything even remotely exposed was smothered in electrical tape.
Now I have detected a buzzing noise coming from the rose (but not the switch; which is also a 2-way switch for the landing light), and there is a mild vibration (can be felt but not seen).

Any ideas as to a cause or cure?

Thanks, Adam

Sponsored Links
Not that I can see. The L N e wires come out of the ceiling straight into the connector block. The fitting itself has 5xL wires; 5x N wires; and an Earth, all of which go straight into the connector block. Beyond that there are 5 'spokes' that extend out from the rose, each ending with a bulb. Each spoke has an L and N wire; and the E is screwed directly to the rose.
Not a lot of space anywhere else.

Cheers, Adam

Sponsored Links
what sort of bulbs?

If you press your thumb on the rose, does the buzzing stop?

Last time I heard buzzing coming from a rose, it turned out to be a bee.

Not very helpful, I know.

Hi,
I'm using 40w golf-ball bulbs.
If you press the rose, the noise dies down, but you can continue to feel a weak vibration through your fingers.

Thanks, Adam

You haven't left a magnetic screwdriver tip or any other magnetic material in rose have you that is "motoring" on currrent in the cables.

Is the frequency of the buzz constant ? ( at 50 or 100 per second )

I assume the buzzing stops when light is turned of and is not a draught of air russling something in the rose.

might be a steel screw or other steel part that is loose and vibrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back