Simple Electric Question

Richard13 said:
So why on your second drawing does the power not just go through L1 and then not go through L2 at all? Is that because of the neutral connected to the otherside of L2? Surely just going through L1 would be the easiest route?

Took a while, but i edited yours to show how it would be done

Thats with one switch per light. If you want one switch to operate both lights, then put the switch in before the split.

Sponsored Links
I've tried to rearrange that I think this is what you had:

[code:1]
_ /-- HB-------------------
| |
| |
L ------------./.------(KITCHEN LAMP) |
| |
| |
N ------------------------------------------|
[/code:1]

So basically all I need is to connect the wire back to the negative at the ceiling rose but I could use the live at the switch, no need to go all the way back to the ceiling rose for that?

In parallel the current splits, not the voltage. (voltage splits in series, eg xmas tree lights)

If you are going to run a cable from the ceiling rose anyway, just run a twin and earth. Connect it into the live and neutral terminal of the existing light, and it will come on at the same time.

Im not sure if this complies with the regs or not though

Sponsored Links
You should end up with something like this: (earths ommited for clarity)
[code:1]
______(HB)________
| |
| |
L ------------./.------(KITCHEN LAMP)--
|
|
N -------------------------------------
[/code:1]

The method will comply with the the regs, as I pointed out before it is part P notifiable (owing to the fact it is adding a light in a kitchen.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back