Simple Electric Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a light switch in my kitchen that I want to run a small bulb off which will be embedded in the wall. This bulb will go on when the kitchen light is on. The live wire comes from the ceiling rose, to the switch, through it, then back to the ceiling rose.
What's the best way to connect the small bulb to the switch? (It needs to be because near this switch and not the ceiling rose as this is near where I want it in the wall.)
The switch is a 3 way one but I'm only using the Com and L1 terminals as there is only 1 switch in the light circuit. The only think I can think of to do is to connect the bulb + connector to the L1 terminal of the switch, then strip the wire further up the wire coming away from L1 and connecting the - wire from the bulb to this (or use a connector block to not have to strip wire.)
Will this be ok to do or can I not connect the - terminal back to the + one as I don't know if this will stop the bulb from lighting?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
That's what I was trying to ask, do I need to connect the neutral terminal of the bulb to a neutral wire or can I not connect it back onto the live wire like in a parrallel circuit?

see sticky for referance.

you are right in how it works, but also as asked where is the neutral? there isnt one, so you cant do it

Sponsored Links
You would have to run the new lamp off the existing ceiling rose, running a T&E cable from here to your new lamp position.

What is the purpose of this new lamp? Is it an indicator or for extra illumination of a dark corner?

It's a little halogen light bulb, no earth wire just a + and a -. Is there any way I could just run it from the switch instead of going back to the ceiling rose?

Domestic electrical circuits are alternating current (AC) . There is no + and - that is direct current (DC) like in a torch.

To make your light work you will need to take live and neutral to your light and (per the above) you need to go back to the ceiling rose to acces these. In actual fact you should use twin core cable plus an earth even though your light may not have an earth connection.

Lighting work in a kitchen, hmmm PPPPPPP

TTC

So why does the halogen bulb light when I sonnect it to either side of the switch? It comes on but that bulb and the kitchen bulb are sharing the voltage so the kitcken light dims. The halogen light itself lights up if I connect it to the Com and L1 terminals, why does it do this if it needs to be connected to negative?

It lights because you have wired it in series with the kitchen light, just like xmas tree lights. Your problem now is how to turn the kitchen light off :D . Or you could, as other posters have said do it properly and run a live, neutral & earth cable from the original ceiling rose to run your new light. Also please be aware that this work is notifiable to LABC in England/Wales under part P.

You may also get a circuit from the switch when the light is off, but this is also incorrect.

Get a proper circuit installed!!

Ok looks like I can't do it the way I want to but can you explain why it's in series and not parallel? I thought if it was wired like this:
[code:1]

L ------------./.---HB--(KITCHEN LAMP)-
|
|
N -------------------------------------
[/code:1]
That would be series but if it was like this:
_HB_
| |
| |
L ------------./.------(KITCHEN LAMP)--
|
|
N -------------------------------------

Then it would be parallel and not share the voltage, dimming the lights. Why is this not the case?

The 2nd drawing, it wouldnt light up because the power would take the easiest route.

parallel:

L---(sw)---------------
| |
Light 1 light 2
| |
N-----------------------

ok so the drawing didnt work.. lol

L---(sw)-----------------
?????????|?????????|
?????? Light 1????light 2
?????????|?????????|
N-------------------------

(ignore the question marks...or press 'quote' to see the first drawing properly)

So why on your second drawing does the power not just go through L1 and then not go through L2 at all? Is that because of the neutral connected to the otherside of L2? Surely just going through L1 would be the easiest route?

Richard13 said:
_ /-- HB------------------
| |
| |
L ------------./.------(KITCHEN LAMP)---|
|
|
N --------------------------------------|

Thats parallel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back