Ceiling rose wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I am replacing a ceiling rose with a new 3 bulb spotlight and annoyingly removed the rose without making a note of the various cables. I have 5 cables coming into this particular light but have managed to identify the switched live using a multimeter. Now that I have identified the SL, I have tried to recreate the typical configurations which are shown on this site and elsewhere online but with no success. This is one of three light fittings on my upstairs landing. At the moment, the other two lights come on, but not the one I am working on. The other lights upstairs are fine. What could I be doing wrong? I have put all the 5 live wires together, all the earths together, 4 neutrals together and then the switched live on its own. I have connected the neutral group to the neutral on the light, earths to earth and the switched live to the live. I am sure I have done something wrong but am not sure what. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You need to identify the live or lives that go to the other landing lights that are supposed to come on with this light.

Your switch live, and live/lives to the other landing lights get connected to the live of this light.

If you see what I mean.

Thank you. So it is a case of trial and error - I need to add a live to the switched live... then keep swapping the live until I find the correct one? Is it likely that I would need to find two other lives?

Not really.

Is there access above, so you can physically check where each cable goes to?

Sponsored Links
5 cables??
Blimey that's a lot. Are there other lights that come on at the same time as the one you are replacing?

Sparkwright - the loft is boarded above band full of boxes etc.
Taylortwocities - yes, two others on the landing.
Ban-all-sheds - reading between the lines in your message, I think you're saying No? In which case, how do I test each cable? I have a multimeter if you tell me what setting to use etc. thanks

Continuity setting.

Power off, join the conductors in one cable at one end, check for continuity at the other end.

Thanks - can you explain a bit more about what you mean when you say: join the conductors in one cable at one end. Do you mean the other end to the ceiling rose? Where would this be? Another light?

Thanks.

He means:
Connect an ohm or other continuity tester At one end of a cable. Usually between brown/red and earth. There should be no reading.
At the other end of the cable(s) connect brown/red and earth together until you see a reading on the tester. Then you will know what that cable is and where it goes.
Do this for the other cables. Then you'll be able to map out how to connect it up.
Of course, it's easier to record where connections go before you disconnect them, but you know that now! :mrgreen:

Thanks TTC. I went to the loft, pulled up boards etc and followed cables as much as possible. As far as I can tell, all 5 cables link to other light fittings. To make matters more confusing, I rechecked all the cables with the multimeter on Ohms and I now get a reading back on two of the cables. Can this be right??

One will probably be feed in, one will be feed out, one is possibly switch. They may show continuity unless the other end is disconnected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back