Ceiling rose with 7 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello; please can anyone help me??

I've change a kitchen light fitting but I have a 7th grey wire that I don't know what to do with, which has stopped my landing light from working as it's not connected.

There are 3 reds together,
2 blacks (Connected to the new light - brown)
1 black (connected to new light - blue)
1 Grey cable

If i connect the grey to the black cable the landing light works but only when the kitchen light is on.

please can anyone throw any light on the situation?

Many thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
You've got your wires mixed up in more than one way.

The two blacks go to the blue.

The single black (which should be a switched live) goes to the brown and should have red sleeving on it.

As the landing light works (albeit only with the kitchen light on when connected to the single black), I am surmising it needs a permanent live from the loop.

So connect this to the reds in their own terminal block.

But two things irk me: is the "grey wire" a single wire coming from a cable with other wires or is it a single wire with a coloured inner insulation?

And you have got earth wires connected to this fitting if needed?

Thank you securespark for the prompt response.

Sorry; the brown & blue are the right way round as they should be.

The grey wire has a red inner and is just one wire on its own.

And yes all the earths are connected

It's likely that the grey sheathed red is your permanent live and would require connecting to the other reds.
Do you have a two probe/pole voltage indicator?

Does this switch only operate one light or more than one light?

Sponsored Links
When the grey is connected to the reds then the landing light is permanently on and the switches do not work. The kitchen light works as normal.

The kitchen light switch only operates the one light, but the landing light has 2 switches. :(

There are 3 reds together,
2 blacks (Connected to the new light - brown)
1 black (connected to new light - blue)
1 Grey cable
Ignoring the one grey sheathed cable was this the configuration of the existing light or did you not take notice of the original wiring and just terminated the cables regardless?
What happens if the grey sheathed cable is not connected?
and you have not touched/altered, any other wiring, only that at the kitchen light?
Do you have any means of testing for continuity and voltage, such as a multi-meter?
Could you take a look at the switch that operate the kitchen light and give information of cables at that plate?
The information you have given so far leads me to think that the grey sheathed cable, is live loop to landing light, but at the landing light this is connected to the switch live side of the fitting and not at the loop.
But need more information.
I assume prior to the removal of old kitchen fitting that all lights were functioning correctly?

I'm sure that the wire config is the same as the previous light, I just didn't see the grey wire until after I had removed the fitting.

If the grey is not connected then the landing light does not work. no other electrics have been touched and when the grey is connected to a live the landing lights works again but continuously without the switches being operational.

The kitchen switch only has 2 black wires to it.

I dont have any testing equip but can purchase.

seems a little strange as I would expect at least a red and a black at switch, But that does not mean joints have not been been made along the route to the light fitting, which doesn't help!
At this point test equipment would be very handy and the landing light prior to old fitting being removed was functioning working correctly?
There are no other cables in the ceiling void, you have missed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back