Fitting a new ceiling light - HELP !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help !!

I have just bought a new ceiling light for my upstairs landing. The light has a transformer if this is relevant. There are 3 grey cables coming down from the ceiling rose, In each of these grey cables is a live (Red) a Neutral (Black) and an Earth (Yellow and Green). My house is only about 8 years old so I guess the wiring is quite recent. From the various combinations I have tried I have concluded that each of the grey cables are connected to the bathroom light, landing light and bathroom fan/isolator. There are 2 light switches that control the upstairs landing light. One is at the foot of the stairs and the other is at the top of the stairs.

The light came already attached to a plastic connection box with each connector clearly marked L, N and Earth. Thinking this would be an easy task I connected the corresponding wires from the ceiling rose to those on the light itself. This didn't work. I tried various different combinations before checking to see what I did on another light fitting (without a transformer).

These were my findings. All red (live) wires appear to be taped up. The earth is where it should be however, there are 2 black (neutral) wires connected to the neutral part of the box and 1 black connected to the Live part of the box. I mirrored this on my new light and it works. The problem I have is that although I can switch the light on from the switch upstairs I cannot switch it on from the switch downstairs. Does anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong ??? Surely the red wires (live) shouldn't be taped up ???

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I tried taping them up with electrical tape which didn't have any impact and soon realised that perhaps I needed to put them into a plastic connection box but not connected to the light. I did this and this is when the light started to work from the upstairs switch. Didn't see that this would make much difference but it did.

Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you need a multi meter
You also need to gain an understanding of how lighting circuits are wired up.

Look at the "For Reference" section. I know that some of the drawings are missing (we're working on that), but there is still enough info there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back