Ceiling scrape or paint?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All. I have 10 year old silk on my ceiling. I'm removing wallpaper from walls and part of the ceiling paint is peeling off from the sides as I do this. I will paint ceiling anyway with matt but I'm not sure whether to continue peeling the silk or leave it on and use a primer like zinsser then matt. I'm not sure what is underneath the silk tbh! Ant tips welcome.

Attachments

• 20220619_102918.jpg
    20220619_102918.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
That is a tough one to answer.

If you just paint over the existing stuff you will see a step at the edge. It looks like someone used a high build paint (a poor man's artex).

Did you use a steam stripper to remove the wallpaper? if yes, the steam may have softened the silk. Regardless, the silk should not have come off so easily. The problem that you have is that you need to pull away the loose edges, if that means pulling the whole lot off, then so be it.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Hi opps . Didn't use steamer. It's a real dilemma. I think there may be an even older silk coating under the visible one! I think im going all in and stripping!!! Thanks for the response

Sponsored Links
Will do. Is it worth investing in some kind of electric method to do this? I'll research!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back