Ceiling spot lights not all working ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , advise needed, just fitted 5 spot lights in a row , all have power supply going in then out to next one except the last in the line and the first which is connected to power supply of old ceiling rose , problem is only the first light comes on ? What am I missing thanks , picture of last light in the row .

Attachments

• F76C6E32-092E-4C48-B5EA-1C7FBC930D33.jpeg
    F76C6E32-092E-4C48-B5EA-1C7FBC930D33.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Layout of lights

Attachments

• D806ACBE-7267-45E2-8F22-9F5BC417C12A.jpeg
    D806ACBE-7267-45E2-8F22-9F5BC417C12A.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 193
Check the connections at the Light that's working. You able post a photo of the Terminations

Just a simple clip connector , tried other lights in its place and still only first one will light

Attachments

• 5795F7B2-A529-473D-BDB5-DC21AD00085D.jpeg
    5795F7B2-A529-473D-BDB5-DC21AD00085D.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Seems to me that the fault is therefore on the connections or the cable that is between Light one and light two (call this cable 2).
So first thing I would do would be to re-push-in the cable that on light one is going to light two.
Second thing I would do would be to re-push-in the cable that on light two that is going into light two.
I say this as your image suggests that the neutral wire (Blue) is not pushed in to the connector properly.
SFK

Off back in loft to give it a go , see what happens cheers

All sorted must have been bad connection from light 1 to 2 . Re connected and bobs your uncle we have light
Thanks

In what way is it none compliant and poor all items are new and wireing is connected to circuit breaker before connection to ceiling rose ? Got me worried now

Risteard has got a point that I missed, what did you do with the ground wire?
The ground wire should be sleeved with yellow/green sleeve and joined from the rose and also at each lamp so that their is a continuous Ground line from start to end.
They do not have to be connected to the lamps (in this case), but the cable has to have a working ground connection along its entire length.

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=ground+sleeve
https://www.toolstation.com/search?search=green+sleeving
SFK

Bit confused now as it’s 2 core cable with no earth , the lamps state that they do not require a earth as they are double insulated ??
The ceiling rose does have earth connected to it .

Cerenko,
I am a DIYer, so an electrician will be better able to say what are the rules.
Your lamps are correctly fitted without an earth as they are double insulated.
But my reading is that it is best to always have a cable with a connected earth along its entire length as provides extra safeguards.
Also means that if you change your lamps in future to ones that need and earth you do not need to re-cable.

Also, many hate Ceiling lights as you can have issues with damp air coming up through the holes from the room below into the loft and causing condensation on the cold loft joists and resulting in rot.
Or some put insulation onto/over the Ceiling lights causing over heating an perhaps fire.

So I would say (until corrected by an electrician) your job is okay, but you will do better next time. :>
SFK

Poor choice of lights in my opinion if open into the Loft, with the Current building regulations.
I did not realise in 2018 them fittings are still sold

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back