Ceiling Staining and Wrinkly Gloss :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First things first, greetings to you all! This is my first post here so please be gentle :)

Ive just moved to a new house in a fantastic area, which is great. The only issue with this is the house itself is what's affectionately refered to as a 'fixer upper'. Funds are tight so I'm taking most of this work on myself at weekends etc and where as plumbing etc I'm fine with, painting is a dark art I have yet to master.

I wonder if you could all offer some advice?

Problem 1.

After fixing a fairly large leak in our upstairs bathroom (All sorted now) I've been left with a rather large stain on our kitchen ceiling/wall...

SAM_5590 by

My question is simple, I would like to paint the whole kitchen white (Walls and ceiling), I assume it's best to put a few coats of paint over the stained area first before doing the whole room to stop the staining showing through? If so, what sort of paint should be used, and also what paint is best to do the room with once the stain is covered?

Problem 2.

I've been glossing (Crown non-drip gloss) and on one of the upstairs windowsills in my enthusiasm I put the pain on far too thickly, which I assume is the cause of this wrinkled patch that appeared a few days after the paint was applied...?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WzCxJj]SAM_5594
by

I did warn you I was useless when it comes to paint :(

The paint, even after a fortnight feels somewhat like the skin on custard, the paint underneath is still soft and viscous in that area. My initial plan was to wait until it hardens and then sand it back and start again, but now I'm not sure it will ever dry. Should I break the skin, peel and wipe back before applying another (This time much thinner) coat?

Thanks in advance guys!
[/url]

Sponsored Links
I can only answer your question about the water stain as I have had to several over the years ( mainly helping a friend out doing refurbs for letting) and the best way to cover a stain is to use a oil based white undercoat.
I have tried a few stain blockers on the market but I know from what I have seen that depending on the darkness of the stain, one or two coats of oil based white undercoat and the job is done with no further bleed through.

Mike

Sponsored Links
The wrinkly gloss will stay soft for a while, so you either need to strip it off, or wait till it hardens.

As it's so thick, you may be able to scrape it off with a sharp scraper, then remove any traces with white spirit.

Once dry you will need to sand down so you have a good surface, then repaint.

However, it's already hardening, you may have to wait a little longer, then just sand it down flat.

Either way, it's not going to be much fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back