ceiling switch how to add a new one ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter snapped the cord on the switch, bought a new switch,but im puzzled, on the original this only one feed red goes to cond black to a1, question is what wires go where.on the new swith is supply and load.

Sponsored Links
4 terminals? Or 2?

Anyhow, red is supply, black is load.

You cant go far wrong with a switch - and both wires are lives, its not like you can close the switch onto a dead short.

How are they marked? There should be two of L and 2 of N.

Connect your cores to the 2 L terminals.

Sponsored Links
b&q sold out of the cheaper ones, had no choice but to spend the £10 it was either that or let the lights bur bathroom all night, thanks for your help.

Put a weak link in the cord just below the switch. So the next time somone does a Tarzan swing the weak link snaps instead of the cord being torn out of the switcjh

I'd love to visit your house bernard, all these tips you dish out here, I bet nothing ever goes wrong at your place!!! :LOL:

I'd love to visit your house bernard, all these tips you dish out here, I bet nothing ever goes wrong at your place!!! :LOL:

I wish, last week a 25p bracket rusted away and dropped the float switch into the bottom of the sewage tank. The pump then ran continuously until the tank was dry. With no liquid to lubricat the metal to rubber pumping cavity the rubber wore away. The "perfume" of stripping that pump down lingers still. But Mono Pumps parts service identified the replacement part and had it on over night delivery that day,

So another tip is routine inspection should be carried out.......

i have left the cord near full lengh , so now theres no jumping up for it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back