Cellar floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a new concrete cellar floor. I'm planning to dig it out myself and put the hardcore, sand and D.P.M down myself. Never done anything like this before so I'm not confident doing the concreting part. I've been told the concrete should be 4 inches thick. Can anyone tell me roughly what a builder would charge for doing the work? I'm up North (Huddersfield). The floor is 4.2 meters square. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
It's not as hard as you'd think. More a physical job. Two strong men should be able to mix it and lay it in a day. Get a old pair of wellies and a long leveller and you'll be fine.

I'm laying a new concrete cellar floor. I'm planning to dig it out myself and put the hardcore, sand and D.P.M down myself. Never done anything like this before so I'm not confident doing the concreting part. I've been told the concrete should be 4 inches thick. Can anyone tell me roughly what a builder would charge for doing the work? I'm up North (Huddersfield). The floor is 4.2 meters square. Thanks guys.

I'd been thinking of doing it myself but wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it level enough. With the size of the room would I put all the concrete in in one go then level it or would I have to section it off and do it in stages?

Sponsored Links
I'd been thinking of doing it myself but wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it level enough. With the size of the room would I put all the concrete in in one go then level it or would I have to section it off and do it in stages?
You'd need 2. One to mix and one to level. You can level it up first with your hardcore. The create some thin edge battens on the floor or wall that are levelled beforehand.at the right height for a guide. Or even a string and pegs. Then with your mate mix the muck. Estimate the quantity beforehand based on volume. Apply the muck as its mixed. It will take your mate time to mix and deliver it to the celkar. Should be enough for you to concentrate on getting it level as it arrives.

Do you have a coal hole?
Is the cellar dry/damp and what do you want to use it for?

Yes I have a coal chute where the concrete could be poured through. The cellar is dry. Can't see any signs of damp anywhere. I'm just going to use it as a bit of a gym/storage room.

Antony,
I know yours is a basement
But are you not tempted to put insulation under that concrete?
Saves you trying to heat the entire earth when you have heating on.
And I personally know it makes room more pleasant as floor is not as cold underfoot.
SFK

I'd seen something on YouTube about putting insulation board down but wasn't sure exactly what it was. Is it just normal kingspan insulation board? I would have thought the weight of the concrete would be too much for it. Do I put the board on top or under the dpm? If on top do I have to seal the joints?

Here is the installation guidance video from Kingspan. Noting that other materials can be used (eg celotex, PIR insulation boards, EPS insulation boards).
Concrete will not crush it. And this is a normal/required thing to do fro new builds.
SFK

I’m doing one at my house now. I broke up a crap garage floor, now i’ve laid sand, i’m going to Wacker that this weekend, DPM it, 4” insulation on the floor, 1” insulation upstand, 2nd DPM then concrete.

I’m going to fix a 2x2 timber to the wall each side so I can span a 4x2 across to level it.

Would I be able to get away with just putting a thicker layer of sand down or do I HAVE to put hardcore down first?

Depends what the cellar floor is now. If it is solid (old concrete that doesn't sound hollow when you tap it or hard packed clay that you can't push your thumb into) then sand, dpm,insulation,dpm,concrete should be fine. Otherwise, dig it out & put properly compacted hardcore down then the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back