replacing kitchen floor???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm planning on replacing my kitchen floor, its 4" concrete and badly cracked and uneven on investigating i've found there is no hardcore under the excisting just earth.I'm planning on digging out the existing and replacing the area is 16m2 my plan is to lay and compact hardcore base then builders sand to allow for dpm then lay a 4"base, does this sound about right? i would be grateful of any hints or tips also what concrete mix do i need i was thinking 5:1 thanks.geez.

Sponsored Links
Ideal opportunity to add 100mm insulation.
So, 150mm hardcore, 50mm sand, dpm, 100mm insulation, 100mm concrete.
Don't forget the mesh in the concrete.

1:5 cement :ballast.

2 men with a mixer, 1.6 m³ = one days work.

Think about how you're going to finish, trowel the concrete or 40mm screed on top.
The finish floor will dictate your choice to a degree.

Ideal opportunity to add 100mm insulation.
So, 150mm hardcore, 50mm sand, dpm, 100mm insulation, 100mm concrete.
Don't forget the mesh in the concrete.

1:5 cement :ballast.

2 men with a mixer, 1.6 m³ = one days work.

Think about how you're going to finish, trowel the concrete or 40mm screed on top.
The finish floor will dictate your choice to a degree.

you do not need fabric in there.. and 40mm is not enough for a screed... but hey ho... what do i know....

you do not need fabric in there.. and 40mm is not enough for a screed... but hey ho... what do i know....

OK, I could say 50mm minimum, to be safe.

Who mentioned fabric?
I was talking about reinforcing mesh.

Sponsored Links
Who mentioned fabric?
I was talking about reinforcing mesh.

That's what geraint was referring to RedHerring - "fabric" is a trade term for it, rebar - same as. It's a bit OTT to be specified for a domestic kitchen floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back