Cellar needs tanking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have quite a small cellar (about 9x12) that is always very damp and when it rains fills with 1-2 inches of water. I have recently had a quote for 10k to tank it and add a doorway with 4 steps down in to it(currently accessed from outside) so was thinking of doing it myself. Any advice/ information would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks I have had a good read and will have a look at the fitting pdf too.

The quote I've had is to vandex the cellar, can you let me know why you're not keen on this method pls?

Well, I'm not really against it per say but its not very forgiving especially to the DIYer. Undoubtedly there will be those that insist it is very effective however it needs very careful mixing and application, the instructions need to be followed to the absolute letter! Any errors in the mixing or application can lead to a failure. Even if its done to the letter I don't really have much faith in it and would never specify it on my drawings myself. Water seeping through structures is surprisingly powerful, I really can't see what's to stop the render systems being blown off the wall by the penetrating damp. Another issue is that if a render solution is opted for and should subsequently fail it will cost a whole lot more to rectify (probably with a proper membrane system) countering any cost offset that you may have had when it was first installed. Guarantees of waterproofing basements offered by builders are seldom worth the paper they're written on, the Forum is littered with threads with basement damp proofing failures. Use a render system at your peril. This is the whole beauty of the Newton or similar dimpled membrane systems, even a dopey builder who doesn't do a very good job shouldn't have any issues.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back