Cellar partially filled with rubble...why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20201214_162900.jpg
20201214_163214.jpg
20201214_163214.jpg

Attachments

• 20201214_162846.jpg
    20201214_162846.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 20201214_172028.jpg
    20201214_172028.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 241
Sponsored Links
Can I remove all this rubble that's in my cellar?

I feel that all this rubble will not be helping with airflow throughout the cellar.

Anyone's help would be appreciated.

The electrics need some work

upload_2020-12-24_15-56-31.png

needs to be replaced by two suitable junction boxes and the cables secured to the joist and not left hanging with their weight straining on the terminals/.

Last edited:
Just lazy builders getting rid of waste, no different now on new estates when you dig the garden and discover rubble/waste a few inches under the garden.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that, I thought the same to be honest. Just didn't want to remove it all and it's there for something else or unknown reason.

Given some of the Cellar areas I have had to crawl around your one is a positive palace !!! and it looks nice and dry.

Absolutely no worries about air flow, provided?

The air bricks are clear and there is enough of them.

Ken.

Cheers for that, I thought the same to be honest. Just didn't want to remove it all and it's there for something else or unknown reason.

You will probably find there is just an earth floor under all that rubble. Be careful not to dig down far enough to undermine the foundations.

It doesn't look like a cellar to me ........is there stairs going down to it or do you access it by a hatch in the floor ?

It just looks like the space under a suspended floor the.....the underdrawings.

No door, no steps going down ......not a cellar ! I would not think of digging it out ......mainly because of that buttress !

It doesn't look like a cellar to me ........is there stairs going down to it or do you access it by a hatch in the floor ?

It just looks like the space under a suspended floor the.....the underdrawings.

No door, no steps going down ......not a cellar ! I would not think of digging it out ......mainly because of that buttress !

It does have stairs that lead down to the cellar, I've just not included a picture of them. Thanks for your input.

Looks like it was meant to be, or going to be, living space at one time, there is a fireplace, or the remains of, in the second and third pics I would clear it, paint the walls, put down some sort of flooring and sort the wiring out. It would make, at least, a good storage area. If it is just earth under the junk then perhaps a suspened floor of some sort although all that would depend on the headroom. I cannot see where the OP suggested "digging it out." As said, I don't think that would wise. Just clear the junk and level it.

Headroom appears to be about 4ft.

The fireplace might have no flue, and be just a brickwork support for the chimney breast above.

But the space would clean up and dig out.

Don't dig lower than the start of the footings (where the walls spread out at the bottom) without coming back for further guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back