patio base with hard core rubbles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya everyone. good morning.

I have prepare a base for garden patio, 10 x 13 ft. plan to lay porcelain slabs.

it is now filled with rubbles as shown in the picture.
jn4eH18.jpg

what material would you recommend to fill the rubble gap and build a good foundation on top of this layer ?

do I need a concrete layer before laying porcelain slab ?

much appreciated for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
MOT sub base would work. I like to break the rubble up into smaller pieces because it makes levelling and compaction easier.
I’d put the slabs onto a good mortar base.

I am doing something very similar atm,as Worcesterman stated I have broken my hardcore as small as possible and compacted, I will next order mot and compact again before laying a full mortar base for the slabs. I'm using sandstone but I would do the same for porselain
PXL_20210508_164214594.jpg
IMG-20210509-WA0011.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi @Gazzahoof , very much appreciated for sharing your project. it looks very well prepared.

there is a roll of cable. how are you planning to your electricity to garden ?

Hey newdiy.
I actually only took that out the shed so I could make space for the plate compactor I got. I do want to do some sort of power for a shed/garden room and maybe a few lights in the future and will get a spark to do it, I have thought though that I should maybe lay a cable ready under patio but haven't thought too much about it. That cables not big enough it's only 1.5mm I would think I will need around 4 or 6 mm as it would be around a 30m run to consumer unit. Might speak to a electrician before I lay it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back