How to sort patio over old rubble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Short version: Not sure how to sort old patio layed over very loose rubble.

Long version: There is a stepped patio going up to the front of my house. Several of the slabs had dropped by an inch or two, so I had the bright idea of lifting the problem slabs and sorting it out. I only wanted to sort this one section, as most of the rest is okish. My plan was to level and reset the dodgy bit, then repoint the lot.

Turns out this section had been layed on a sand and cement base, but this was floating over two inches of air and then what must be a foot or two of big loose rubble - we're talking big bits of roof tile, brick, half patio slabs etc. There's a slope in the ground level, so this section has had to be built up to the height of the house. Loads of air pockets all the way through, one large enough for a mouse to live in!

What are my options for sorting this? Does all the rubble need to come out? can I lay some sort of subbase on top, or pour over concrete?

Don't worry about the orange bucket - my son thought throwing water at it would solve the problem

Attachments

• 20220625_162328.jpg
    20220625_162328.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220625_163420.jpg
    20220625_163420.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Smash those bits up to hardcore, add some MOT as needed, compact it all and lay your slabs on a good base of mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back