Patio Laying!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just had a company around today to quote me for a patio to be layed where the existing one is, not sure if this is a cowboy way of laying my new patio but he said he would lay it over the existing patio slabs which is pretty level and solid, to me i thought he would take the old slabs up and put a new MOT base in etc? Bit confused and not really sure if this is acceptable? Would be nice to hear your views on this. Thank you

Sponsored Links
It would be unusual but not necessarily an absolute no no.

Very few contractors would be happy not knowing for sure what's under there if they are going to guarantee their work.

Unless you needed to bring up levels and are rebuilding accesses and steps etc it seems a strange choice.

Do you have enough clearance on your dpc to raise the whole lot? Finished paving should be 150mm below dpc as a minimum.

Thanks for the reply r896neo! The patio is one side of my garden against a fence so the dpc is not a issue! Yes the levels wont be right as it wont be flush with the grass but i dont really think that will be a issue, but it could be?? Just seems very strange to me on the laying of it and i think i am convinced now from what you are saying!! Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it is the cost as my house is in a very nice and sort after area plus walking out into the garden with £220 Uggs on which he made a comment about being expensive boots then i think it is something more like not doing a proper job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back