Laying patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Can I lay new patio slabs on top of exisiting ones. The old patio is only small and the slabs are level with no cracks or chips - This would save me a job getting the old ones up and dumping them at the skip.

If so any tips on how to lay them..... like can i just motor them direct on top ?
Do i need to do a subase etc ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can.

the only snag is if there are any voids beneath the existing slabs.

they could be weak spot or they could potentially hold water which could freeze.

but it would have to be bl**dy cold! :eek: :LOL:

if you solid bed the new ones then there is unlikely to be any problems.

do NOT spot bed.

Thanks for you help man,

Just to confirm - I can bed these in using ready mix directly ontop ?

Thanks

use sharp sand and cement mixed at 5:1.

don't mix it too wet but admit enough water to allow workability. ;)

Sponsored Links
It's best to remove, add sub-base and do it right to be honest. If you are going to lay onto existing paving, I'd recommend breaking them first. What are they laid onto? If they are directly onto soil for instance, any further movement will undoubtably transmit to the new paving.. ie lifting them. By breaking them, you'll at least eliminate some of the risk. Best to just get rid of them in my opinion... there's no substitute for a bit of hard graft :D

I use 4 washed sand- 2 soft building sand - to half a bag of OPC as bedding mix. I find just using washed sand is either too dry to tap down easily or too wet and they float a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back