Can i use this old rubble as hardcore for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am in the process of removing a old exposed aggregate path in my garden and replacing with a patio slabs. I assumed once i had lifted the old path it would be bare soil underneath to which i could add and level some hardcore before laying patio slabs

problem is after lifting the aggregate it looks like theres large rubble and pebbles/ old bricks etc which which the path was laid over, probably about 3-4 inches worth. A lot of it is very firm and diffucult to dislodge

My question is do i need to remove ALL of this completely until i hit soil or can i just remove the large bits and add my hardcore in over this areas.

I have added pics to see what im dealing with (sorry picture orientation is wrong way up)

https://ibb.co/ByLMVxT
https://ibb.co/mBZdgyn

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your going to want to level that off as much as you can, try a Wacker plate.

How do you intend on laying the slabs, a dry sand and cement mix?

I will lay over A sharp sand and cement mix.

Yes I was intending on using a Wacker plate. Am I correct to say I don't need to remove all the rubble till I reach the soil level and nor do I need to remove the larger pieces. I can just use a Wacker plate and top up mot1 as necessary.

Thanks

Yeah I'd just Wacker plate, remove all the big bits of rubble then level out with a dry sand and cement mix

Sponsored Links
Hi all, in the process of creating a patio.

as such i had to remove my existing concrete surface. i was expecting to find a soil layer, but turns out its predominatley rubble/ bits of crushed brick and aggregate etc.

now my question, rather than buying mot 1 can i use this crushed bricks/ rubble instead of mot1 or failing this can i even put the rubble under the mot 1, say 30mm rubble/crushed brick and 70mm mot1 and wacker plate down

it saves me hassle of having to clear out all little bits of rubble.

i have attached a picture to give a idea of the size of the pieces of rubble on average which are about 2-3 inches i would say

upload_2021-8-16_17-40-36.jpeg

Attachments

• 1629131419267.jpg
    1629131419267.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 70
zuber ali, good evening.

If the area of concrete surface you have removed was not breaking up, forming holes and if not laid to a fall retaining pools of rain water then that in itself would tend to indicate that the sub base you have now exposed is it for purpose again.

Your proposal as detailed above should work fine.

Ken.

You can reuse that if you are prepared to break it down to small pieces.
Is there a way to break down to smaller bits. I.e is it more cost effective to hire something to do it or is it cheaper to just Chuck it in a skip and get new mot1

zuber ali, good evening.

If the area of concrete surface you have removed was not breaking up, forming holes and if not laid to a fall retaining pools of rain water then that in itself would tend to indicate that the sub base you have now exposed is it for purpose again.

Your proposal as detailed above should work fine.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Do you mean I could do a fine layer of this rubble and then mot1 over the top. I e 30mm of this rubble then 70mm not 1 then Wacker down

Is there a way to break down to smaller bits. I.e is it more cost effective to hire something to do it or is it cheaper to just Chuck it in a skip and get new mot1
Sledge hammer then Lump hammer would be the norm if you have time to spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back