Cellar underneath fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Another of my ‘what is this’ thread.

I have a 40s bungalow we moved into recently. So the first weird thing is the old living room fireplace, it has a chimney breast on the wall, but no external chimney stack. I see no evidence of there ever being a stack exterior to the house or in the loft. Secondly is underneath the fireplace in the cellar - see attached picture. Seems that something at sometime was below it? The big pipe being supported by the wire goes externally to the house and is now blocked off. I assume this was a flue to and old gas appliance? There is also an old gas pipe going towards it, now capped off, assuming it fed a gas fire. Interestingly there is also an old water pipe going up towards the fireplace too, which is now also redundant and disconnected from mains water.

Looking at the structure of the brickwork, does seem that there was something there? An old boiler?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6498.jpeg
    IMG_6498.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
That flue looks a little bit suspicious from the photo - have you had an asbestos survey for the building?

Sponsored Links
I once had something similar where the big pipes went to an adjacent greenhouse, I think for hot air. The stove had been below ground but had been removed and filled in.

Thanks, getting a survey maybe best then. If the pipe is unused, not touched and not moved, is it relatively safe as is?
You could take a sample yourself and send it off to a company such as...

It will be safe enough for the moment, as long as you leave it undisturbed. Don't attempt to sweep, or vacuum up any dust in the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back