Celotex / Insulation board cutting experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just in case it's of any use to someone...

I've just installed PIR insulation board between rafters in the loft and had lots of fun working out a way to cut this stuff that suited me. This post details how I found best to handle this stuff. Would be interested to hear other's best handling experiences.

Long Cuts
-----------
A friend raved about insulation saws:
(eg: http://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-insulation-saw-22-560mm/7498k)
However I found these not so good to use as the blade is thick and drags.

The best I found was a dovetail saw. This has a super thin blade that sliced the board really well:http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-mini-dovetail-pull-saw-22tpi-6-165mm/21885

The down side was the flexibility, it needed a decent edge to sit against to get a 90degree cut. Straight edge was okay, 4x2 was much better.

Cut-outs
---------
I needed lots of cut-outs around angled stud wall and ridge tie timbers. Needed accurate but relatively small sections of board removed. Most cuts were repeated on every board so I cut out a 4x2 as a template for each angle. A really sharp, wide bladed kitchen knife could be pushed along the template creating a nice clean cut each time. If washed and back in the knife block, the other half will never know!

Trimming while fitting
------------------------
Measuring goes so far, but the Victorian timbers meant slivers needed trimming off while fitting in between the rafters. Seemed to work well if the boards were tapped in to place just to hold it in position. I would then run the dovetail saw down between the rafter and the board, this produced a nice accurate trim of the board so it could be tapped in to position easily. Usually a Stanley knife was needed to trim just a little more of the outer foil away or it would be dislodged when tapped almost home.

Protection
-----------
The dust from this stuff is not toxic but nasty. Please please use a decent mask (I'm not talking about the poxy felt ones)....... and eye protection, especially when tapping in to position. If the dust gets in your eyes - you'll not enjoy it, trust me!

Cheers,
L.A.

Sponsored Links
Always just used a handsaw and yes a breadknife for cutouts.
Measuring and cutting accurately and straight just comes with practice

Floorboard saw and bread knife are my essential kingspan tools.

Sponsored Links
Horrific stuff to work with!

I have found that the broader the saw, the less likely it is to wander and is more likely to produce a square cut. This is especially relevant when cutting the next piece as we all want that nice square edge we had at the beginning!

Cut slowly. Meaning the travel of the saw should be slow relative to the amount of sawing motions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back